Wednesday, December 17, 2008

MAXIMUM CITY --- Mumbai Lost & found

The first thing that attracted me towards this book was the cover page.
Just by looking at it I knew it is going to be a good book.
It is a must read for all Mumbai people , if you think that you know Mumbai then read this book you will know how little you know about Mumbai.
The writer has put in a lot of efforts in writing this book while doing his research work.

it is kind of an eye opener on issues like the 1993 riots, involvement of sanjay dutt in it, the way the riots took place, how blasts were planned ? how the gangsters work? how police works?
It must have required a lot of guts on his part to write things about Bal Thackrey and directly pinpointing him as the main person responsible for the riots.
One of the most interesting part is that of the life in slum.
Although I would say that he only wrote things which would attract people in reading about life in slum and mainly concentrated on how each one of them is hitting on someone else's wife,
sister,sister in law etc...
I would have been happier has he mentioned about how people stay connected to each other in slums, chawls, care for each other, celebrate in good times and mourn in bad times with each other.
I think he lacked there.
Story on vada-pav is also good.
Another interesting part is on the life of the bar girls, in this part I would say he really
put in more hardwork in reasearch on bar girls, I dont know why he had so much interest in it ,at times I found that he is dragging it a little too much.
In the end he also mentions about his school ,years spent there ,his friendship with director/producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra.His association with him during the making of
Mission Kashmir.
That part again was not needed, I mean who is interested in knowing what you did in your school,
when you are writing the book on Mumbai .
I would say that he probably missed one very important thing about mumbai which is it's lifeline
that is the local trains.
He should have written something about the local trains,how people talk in trains ? what is the main point of their discussion ? The daily spats in train etc....
Although it is a good effort and he even succeeds in opening the eye's of the readers , but I would still say that it lacked a lot of things about Mumbai.
I would still recommend it to everyone who wants to know what has happend in Mumbai over
the years.
It will be kind of Mumbai revisited for you.
On a scale of 1 to 5 I would rate it a good 4.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good review as always but why did u gve a 4 rating?? its not really worth four..

dhruw said...

preethi, thanx for checking d blog.
I gave it a 4 because it lacked only a few things about mumbai and the descriptions and the details were really an eyeopener in most part of the book.
He really mentioned a few things which could have put his life in danger.
so I think he really deserved a 4.